Bulgaria was well known for its ski and summer resorts and the property investment opportunities there but the country was just beginning to develop golf property opportunities.
Only three golf courses operate in Bulgaria at the moment. Because of the foreign investor interest the country was ready to develop further this opportunity.
According to prognoses in 15 years Bulgaria was going to have 40 golf courses set up in strategic areas for investors and vacation property seekers.
The coastal area offered good opportunities because of its climate. The milder weather there permitted year-round golfing.
Three famous golfers, Gary Player, Ian Woosnam and Jack Nicklaus are currently involved in designing five golf courses in Bulgaria. These three professional players are the team captains of Europe, the US and the Rest of the World. Welshman Woosnam was in Bulgaria on November 1 2005, when building work was started on two courses he designed : Lighthouse near Balchik and Pirin, near Bansko and Razlog.
CURRENT GOLF COURSES IN BULGARIA:
1.Ihtiman, owner Air Sofia
2.Sliven, owner Air Sofia;
3.Ravno Pole, near Sofia.
FUTURE GOLF COURSES:
1. Balchik - Black Sea Rama, designed by Gary Player, expected date of completion June 2006;
2. Kavarna - Thracian Cliffs, designed by Gary Player, expected date 2007-2008;
3. Balchik - Lighthouse, designed by Ian Woosnam, expected date 2007-2008;
4. Banya and Razlog, near Bansko Pirin, designed by Ian Woosnam, expected date 2007-2008;
5. Dolna Banya near Borovets, designed by Jack Nicklaus, expected date - 2007-2008;
6. Kuttina golf resort designed by Manuel Ferry Sanches, expected date 2009.